Mary Jane lives on Rocky Neck Ave and her property sustained a lot of water damage this winter with those huge storm surges that flooded the causeway. I rebuilt her beach ramp and installed some hardware cloth over her crawl space so her basement could vent and dry out.
I picked up this great Captain's Chair from a friend and painted with Rust Stop "International Blue to give it that high glass look. My grandparent's had a blue chair just like this in their kitchen and I always loved it as a kid.
John has a lovely fir porch and stairs but it gets a ton of sun which bleaches and dries/weathers the wood. He had applied a deck stain which looked lovely back in the day. The problem with restaining is that, if you have raw exposed wood, it will look very lighter in some areas and overly coated in others. In this case, you have to go with a solid color to even everything out. It took two coats and I'll be back tomorrow to fill in other cracks. It will last him another 3-5 years, after which the porch will need to be sanded down and stained anew- starting the cycle all over again.
Well, all the tile is up but this project isn't over yet, even though it looks all set. I need to let the tiles cure for 24-48 hrs and then I'll do the grouting, which is a mess. Finally I'll have to caulk, put the shower fixtures back on, hang the curtain rod and shower curtains, and put my bathroom back together again.
I am thrilled with the result but I would NEVER do this project for a client. It's way too much work, too much time and too costly for them. I'm on Day 4 and I still have 6-8 hours to go. I've spent about $400 on supplies and I still have to figure out what to do with all my demo waste.
I am thrilled with the results but it ain't done yet. That last 20% kills me.
I started today by installing Schluter KERDI membrane as a water barrier backer to protect the walls. You adhere it with thinset and it's like putting fabric on sheetrock. I love it because it is so much easier than dealing with cement board or 1/4" hardibacker board (hate that stuff).
Then I set a level base board on which to set my tiles. You never build from the bottom. You always set a line above and then cut tiles to fit below because nothing is square or level.
These tiles will dry tonight.
Tomorrow, I will take off the base board, then cut the bottom tiles to fit while also build the decorative tiles I have to go above. I'm really pleased with how this is turning out.
I am taking the Memorial Day Weekend off - which means I am doing projects for myself (several actually).
As a tile snob, I've wanted to get rid of these tiles in my bathroom for over 10 years.
I finally got the go-ahead from my mom, Dot, who owns this house (there's a whole other post behind the negotiation to make this happen).
This tile was a bitch to get off. I ended up using an axe to break it off and it's still slow and tedious because the mortar is very stuck to the blue board behind. The tile is telling me it was installed very well, which means it's a mothertrucker to remove. But I have some frustrations that need to get out. Demolishing is great therapy.
Robin wanted her door turned (aka flipped) around and it's not as simple as it sounds. I had to trim the door down, then I had to recess the hinges into the door and door jamb. It was a tight fit, so I sanded down the side and bottom to make it work because nothing is square in this old home. Then I had to cut a hole for the catch and recess that plate. After I re-installed the door handles, we learned they do not work because they stick-out to when on the other side.
There is no textbook for projects like this.
You just have to go slow and learn from your mistakes.