I am cutting back my hours on weekends because I have several craft fairs coming up this Holiday Season. I am selling my lobster trap ornaments, mini lobster trap trees, my mother's lobster potholders and !NEW! my father's hand turned bowls from burls - aka "Burl Doctor".
Inga, owner of Cake Ann, hired me to install a storm door on the back of her store so she could let a cool breeze in without turning on her air conditioner. When baking it can get quite hot in there - even on cold days. Luckily, her back door was a standard size and I didn't have to order a custom-sized door, which can be 2-3x as expensive.
Phyllis bought a 9'x8' pergula online for her patio. She hired me to build it and set it up. It was pretty straightforward until I had to anchor the post brackets in cement. I used a good ole tried and true trick: mason string. With Post Set Cement no pre-mixing is involved. Just add water to the hole, set post and fill with dry mix. It sets up in about 5min. I dampened it down with some gravel.
This job took me 4hours and it was a two-person job.
FYI: The pergula was made of PVC plastic. Caps, edges and decorative elements were glued on.
I am not a plumber. But I know when they want to access a ceiling leak. I cut this hole for the plumber of my client and then fixed new sheetrock, plastered and sanded like new. A job like this takes several visits: around 30min to cut out and re-block and then less than 15min after to plaster/skim/sand for a couple of days.
Plumbers need to make holes in walls to find leaks but they hate fixing them .
Ambrose needed help putting his historic shutters back together at his Historic home in Rockport.
I was able to put them back together on my work table with a pipe clamp, some wood glue and exterior screws. It is delicate work and I was happy to bring this old window dressing back to their full glory.
When I brought them back, Ambrose was very happy because he felt his home felt "naked" without these shutters.
His comment made me laugh and smile, because he was 100% correct.
Sarah hired me to help with some "mushy" tiles next to the bath at the new condo she bought. It turned out the subfloor was rotted and molded so we started by tearing up the old tiles. Working together, we learned the old tile went under the vanity so that needed to get pulled and why not replaced that nasty thing too...and a new medicine cabinet, which requires installing a separate light.
I've done several bath upgrades for myself and they are never easy or simple - but I am proud my plumbing skills have come far enough that I could install this fancy new vanity. Flooring was easy but the sub-flooring required special attention.
Tomorrow I need to finish the baseboards, caulk the trim, install the medicine cabinet and hang the bathroom door.
This project definitely grew more than what both Sarah and I expected but if you're going there, you gotta get it done and done right. No?
One of my favorite ways to enjoy summer is to get out on the water. I don't have a boat and I have friends who have small boats but then you tend to stay close to land. So I opt to pay to go deep sea fishing on the Yankee Fleet. It's a long day (7a-4p) and it's dirty work baiting the line and handling the fish - but it is so awesome out there on the open ocean with no land in sight. Today I caught 6 redfish, 5 haddock and 1 pollack. But I hope these photos show the real treasure of my experience today. ENJOY!
Judi and Tony needed to install a railing into their stone wall for insurance purposes. Their insurance inspection said it needed to happen. So it needed to happen.
They got the railing and I was able to anchor it into the cracks of the stone wall using hydraulic cement to anchor, well, the anchors for the screws. Securing this railing directly into stone would have been a much more challenging.