My Bath Tub Tile Reno -Day 4

Well, all the tile is up but this project isn't over yet, even though it looks all set. I need to let the tiles cure for 24-48 hrs and then I'll do the grouting, which is a mess. Finally I'll have to caulk, put the shower fixtures back on, hang the curtain rod and shower curtains, and put my bathroom back together again. I am thrilled with the result but I would NEVER do this project for a client. It's way too much work, too much time and too costly for them. I'm on Day 4 and I still have 6-8 hours to go. I've spent about $400 on supplies and I still have to figure out what to do with all my demo waste. I am thrilled with the results but it ain't done yet. That last 20% kills me.

My Bath Tub Tile Reno - Day 3

I started today by installing Schluter KERDI membrane as a water barrier backer to protect the walls. You adhere it with thinset and it's like putting fabric on sheetrock. I love it because it is so much easier than dealing with cement board or 1/4" hardibacker board (hate that stuff). Then I set a level base board on which to set my tiles. You never build from the bottom. You always set a line above and then cut tiles to fit below because nothing is square or level. These tiles will dry tonight. Tomorrow, I will take off the base board, then cut the bottom tiles to fit while also build the decorative tiles I have to go above. I'm really pleased with how this is turning out.

My Bath Tub Tile Reno - Day 2

I didn't get as far as I wanted today. It was a laboring day. Most of it was spent cleaning up the debris into small enough sizes where I could 'pick em up and put em down' again. But I love when a project pivots from being "take-down" into "building new." These turnaround moments are always both very satisfying and inspiring to me.

My Bathtub Tile Reno Day 1

I am taking the Memorial Day Weekend off - which means I am doing projects for myself (several actually). As a tile snob, I've wanted to get rid of these tiles in my bathroom for over 10 years. I finally got the go-ahead from my mom, Dot, who owns this house (there's a whole other post behind the negotiation to make this happen). This tile was a bitch to get off. I ended up using an axe to break it off and it's still slow and tedious because the mortar is very stuck to the blue board behind. The tile is telling me it was installed very well, which means it's a mothertrucker to remove. But I have some frustrations that need to get out. Demolishing is great therapy.

Closed Memorial Day Weekend

Cape Ann Handywoman will be unavailable Memorial Day Weekend. Not taking care of clients. But myself instead.

Flipping a Door & Learning from Errors

Robin wanted her door turned (aka flipped) around and it's not as simple as it sounds. I had to trim the door down, then I had to recess the hinges into the door and door jamb. It was a tight fit, so I sanded down the side and bottom to make it work because nothing is square in this old home. Then I had to cut a hole for the catch and recess that plate. After I re-installed the door handles, we learned they do not work because they stick-out to when on the other side. There is no textbook for projects like this. You just have to go slow and learn from your mistakes.

Deck#1 - Repainting a Covered Deck

I have to itemize this deck work because I currently have 3 deck jobs in the pipeline. As I mentioned in my previous post, Meredith hired me to repaint her covered deck. I lightly sanded but mostly power-washed the rest. Her deck was built from pressure-treated 2X4's some 20 years ago, in my opinion. She lives in Annisquam so this deck gets a ton of weather in winter and ton of sun in the summer. What do you think? Keep following Cape Ann Handywoman about how decks #2 and #3 turn out

Mother's Day Surprise - Teak Furniture

Meredith hired me to repaint her covered deck. While in the process of power-washing that deck and moving her teak furniture to the lawn, she remembered how I brought some of my mother's old teak chairs back to life. Meredith's teak furniture was ~10 yo and great Smith & Hawking set. After I was done, I explained to Meredith how they needed some love, some Teak Oil, because the teak was so dry and weathered. "It's hand lotion for overly dry wood - just like my hands." She laughed with an understanding smile

Building IKEA Furniture & Sisterhood

Amy left a vm last night in a panic. She needed some IKEA chairs assembled by tomorrow so she could put her house on the market. I explained I had long-standing client tonight but if she could somehow drop them off I could build them at night. Which I did, much to her joy, amazement and delight. She hailed me a lifesaver; she really needed a leg-up on the chaos she's going through and today was a *whopper*. Moving can be toxic and every bit helps. I reminds me of a favorite saying: "If you want something done, ask a busy woman do it." Amy shared that I and a female painter were the ones that pulled through for her in her time of need and distress. I am truly loving the sisterhood of my new b

Painting a Deck Railing

Sonia's husband passed a couple of years ago. She found out about me because of the signs on my car. She's doing an amazing job tackling some small home projects on her own but many are beyond her abilities, such as painting this deck railing. It was rebuilt with pressure treated wood and she let it "season" over the winter. I used Cabot's Solid Stain and I was able to apply the first coat the other day. I'll be back to do the second coat as well as seal and install cedar post caps. Sonia's proud smile says why I enjoy helping her so much.

Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

© Cape Ann Handy Woman LLC. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Facebook - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle
  • Google+ - Grey Circle